Sunday, September 09, 2012

Dammit, Steve, You told me you’d live forever.
And I believed you. Almost till the very end.

Never a lap sitter. But I remember the week Angie
died, and you slept against my naked back. Pure comfort
for us both.

Who loved running. Leaping. Acrobat. Joy in motion.
Brought so low, the legs whipping air in senseless moves.
Able only to scoot. And finally not even that.

Held between the hands, the energy beat strong
even until the last day. The hum of love, of peace, of joy.
Thank you for that gift.

I hope you are running now – across fields, up trees.
And I forgive you for the baby bunny and the birds.
So many birds. . . .
And mice. Nice about the mice.

And grateful you spared me the last trip, screaming
and howling, to let you go. You always did things
your own way.

Give him a hug from me, Angie.



jjl
9 September 2012

2 comments:

eagle said...

I'm so very sorry to hear of his passing. I feel like I've lost a real friend as well. He and I were always close. My heart goes out to you in this difficult time.

White Bear said...

Thank you. I'm moved. And you're right -- he did have a special affinity for you.

The Kitten Grass is surviving -- a lot of competition this year from other things which were doing exceptionally well.