Friday, March 23, 2007

Tanner Update


picture from this time, last year. . .

March 23, 2007 at 03:26 PM MST
Time really seems to be flying! I'm trying to think what has happened in the last 2 weeks.

Tanner had an audiology appointment, which we've been having about every 2 weeks. Yikes! Last time they got a pretty good idea of where his hearing loss is, so this time they tested him while he was wearing his hearing aids. There was a big difference! They adjusted them, a little more, and told us to come back in 3 months. wow. I've been making a real effort to get him to wear his hearing aids more. He's doing pretty good, once they're in!

Tanner's latest EBV level came back as "not detected", so they've given the ok to stop the valgancyclovir that he's been on since transplant. It's always exciting & scary all rolled into one when we stop a med. That leaves Tanner's list of meds really short compared to what they've been at times. He's down to iron/magnesium/zinc (which we are trying to switch to half a centrum jr. vitamin), prograf twice a day, prednisone once a day, and prevacid. Oh, he also gets septra (antibiotic) on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. I have to say I'm quite lucky, Jason gives Tanner his morning meds every morning before heading out to work and we tend to share the night time duty. I have obviously given him all his day medicine, but other than the septra, he doesn't get meds during the day anymore!! YIPPEE. Big change from almost every hour, huh?

Tanner also had a cold with a really nasty runny nose that he just could not shake on his own. He ended up getting an antibiotic which took care of it. But, within 2 days of stopping it, the runny nose was back. Do you know how much I hate runny noses?

Tanner's next liver clinic appointment is April 9. This is the longest we've gone without doctor's appointments. This will make 2 months between appointments. I'll probably take him next week or the week after for labs.

Tanner is so sweet. His language has exploded, he's talking so much. I love it. Yesterday I was fixing my hair and he said "Mom, doing?" He wanted to know what I was doing. It's pretty sad when my almost-3-year old doesn't know what it looks like when I fix my hair! Anyway, I told him I was fixing my hair. He said "you bootiful." Talk about melt my heart. Then one time I told him I love him, he looked at me and said "I love you, too." I love that he added "too."
Sometimes, just to be silly, I'll blow in his face. He'll crinkle up his face and say "Don't blow me down!"
When you ask how old he is he'll say "2...3 on my birthday." He tells us that for his birthday he wants Grandma to bring balloons (he loves balloons) and a brown (chocolate) wiggles cake.

I know how blessed we are. Last year I didn't know if he'd even be alive to turn 2. Now, he'll be turning 3! (may 4) I remind myself how much Tanner's come through and how lucky we are to have him everytime he does something naughty...which is a lot!

Thanks for checking in...

and to ALL our friends still in treatment, or nearing the end of their journey on earth...know that we LOVE YOU and you're in our prayers...
Megan

No comments: