Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Lear ~




During the hospitalization, I had occasion to be in contact many of his friends in the business, and five or six times heard a version of: Well tell him to get better: he plans to die at 82, on stage, while performing Lear. . . . He'd told me that when talking about the impossibility (for him) of ever retiring. "God help me, but I *love* what I do" was something he said oftener. Musing on this just now, and looking through The Players Club site's membership rolls to find Marian Seldes. . . . I remembered something she said to him at the opening night party for The Right Kind of People.

So, you've always wanted to play Lear?

Nod.

Well, I believe you just did.

A pause, a little light in the eyes, a grin, and another, emphatic, nod.

Thank you, Marian Seldes, for the comment, and the memory! He was very pleased.

No comments: