Tuesday, October 10, 2006

I walked across that bridge in Selma, I was shot at in Mississippi, I’ve done what I was capable of doing over the years.




Edwin and activism

One of the things he was most proud of in his life, and therefore spoke of least often (usually prefaced by, I'm not bragging but. . . . the rule of his household of origin was that you didn't speak of things that you were proud of: that was "bragging") was his activism. His very real, "put your body into it" activism. Put your time, put your money, put your brain and heart into activism. Speak up even if you are afraid activism. Do it even if it's dangerous activism.

What I know for sure of that is what he told me. As a young man, first away at college in the late fifties, early sixties, he started at Tulane, and gravitated immediately to the theatre department although his official major was pre-law. The theatre department was crawling with community organizers. He wasn't adverse, and joined them. After that he was at Carnegie, and then at Lambda, in London. Was back in the US in Florida, doing Shakespeare in 1965. Just in time for the King and Meredith Marches.

He told me once about sitting around a camp fire in the dark, surrounded by state troopers. Everyone being afraid, and Seeger striding through with his guitar and everyone singing their fears away.

Yesterday, I found the pictures of that very intense young man in Florida. The piercing gaze, the soft curling hair. And loved him all over again. Last night, I was looking through pictures of the marches, and found this one. It's from the March Against Fear in 1966. They'd stop every night, and the leaders would speak to them, encourage them.




Perhaps this *isn't* Edwin. Some other white boy with soft curling hair. But I kind of think it is. The way the ear lays against the head is one I'm heart-breakingly familiar with. . . .

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Puddle, you are creating such a beautiful memorial to Edwin. It is a pleasure to be able to share in his life as you are putting it forth.

Hugs and love to you. ♥

by Barbara in Seattle on Tuesday, 10/10/06 @ 10:18 AM | Rate this | Avg Rating: -

______________________

Your website is beautiful!

Hi Puddle,

Just to say thank you for your website alerts. It's a gallery of thought, emotion, art, poetry, experiences, history, and people. It's unique and surprising and, yes, I've said it already, beautiful.

by Pat in Colorado on Tuesday, 10/10/06 @ 10:20 AM | Rate this | Avg Rating: -

Anonymous said...

puddle

Your running tribute to Edwin is a touching tribute of your love for one another. Thank you.

by seashell on Tuesday, 10/10/06 @ 01:39 PM | Rate this | Avg Rating: -

Anonymous said...

Brings Tears to My Eyes...

Puddle, your wonderful tribute to Edwin does. I so enjoy reading everything you post on him and it makes me sad that I never got to meet him, although I'm getting to now, with your posts. Thank you for introducing him to me (us). You're a joy and he'd be so proud of what you're doing for him.

by Jeanie Diamond on Tuesday, 10/10/06 @ 02:50 PM | Rate this | Avg Rating: -

_____

Anonymous said...

puddle,

PBS is rebroadcasting "Eyes on the Prize." If you have TV and want to remember that era, it's worth a watch.

Anonymous said...

he's so amazing puddle.. this is incredible..

Jo said...

Beautiful, puddle dear. What a wonderful man and what love you had for each other. Thank you for keeping his light alive. xoxoxo