Wednesday, September 28, 2005

The Clown Kachina

The Clown Kachina

If you are hungry then I

can Feed you love, but my

blood, or sex, or the

shell and stripes I wear,

will all leave you

nowhere.


If you are thirsty then I

will pour spirit into your

home, but I am not the

body that is bread, nor

the Savior's cup flowing

into eternity.


I am only the

skeleton on the mesa,

the clown kachina,

the voice of

headless John

calling from your plate:


"...that that decreased


I spoke of is true,

and our hunger

and thirst are

for Him."

October 1990


[click title for source]

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yesterday a child came out to wonder
Caught a dragonfly inside a jar
Fearful when the sky was full of thunder
And tearful at the falling of a star...

--from Joni Mitchell's Circle Game

Catreona said...

This poem hits the nail on the nose, as usual, Miss Puddle.

If you're not already, you ought to be crowned Deaniackery's Poet Lauriot.

Catreona said...

You also know how to pick 'em! Thought this one was a llittle Catholic for a Quaker. Very nice, though.