Monday, December 05, 2011

Quiet day, yesterday. Mostly doing some followup (well, a LOT) on the new ancestress my sister discovered. She's been sort of an icon in the family (the Indian Grandmother), never identified by name before. Evidently my mom told one of my brothers that we had an Indian Princess in our background. Well if being the daughter of a very important chief makes you a Princess, then yup.

Interestingly, he *wasn't* Native. He was born in Montreal, and captured by the Oneida as a child, and just stayed with them. He married a Cayuga woman, and became the Iroquois "governor" in PA. He named (last name) at least three of his children after the Quaker "governor" that he dealt with -- Logan. My GGGG Grandmother, Ann Shikellamy Logan married a Colonel John Gibson. Her brother, James Logan became a war chief in the Mingos and a great peace leader, until his family, including my grandmother was killed and scalped (by white men) at the Yellow Creek Massacre. Which was in WV.


The only survivor of that Massacre was my GGG Grandmother, Polly Gibson. Interestingly, her father, Col. John Gibson, had been captured by Indians as a teenager, and adopted, and so survived. . . .

Logan's Lament. . . .
"I appeal to any white man to say, if ever he entered Logan's cabin hungry, and he gave him not meat: if ever he came cold and naked, and he cloathed him not. During the course of the last long and bloody war Logan remained idle in his cabin, an advocate for peace. Such was my love for the whites, that my countrymen pointed as they passed, and said, `Logan is the friend of white man.' l had even thought to have lived with you, but for the injuries of one man. Colonel Cresap, the last spring, in cold blood, and unprovoked, murdered all the relations of Logan, not even sparing my women and children. There runs not a drop of my blood in the veins of any living creature. This called on me for revenge. I have sought it: I have killed many: I have fully glutted my vengeance: for my country I rejoice at the beams of peace. But do not harbour a thought that mine is the joy of fear. Logan never felt fear. He will not turn on his heel to save his life. Who is there to mourn for Logan?--Not one."



Got a picture of my GGGGG Grandfather, Shikellamy:

Looking mighty dark for a Frenchman, lol! And a pic of a bronze statue.

And Chief Logan. my GGGG Uncle:

Never been related before to peeps as had statues made of 'em. . . .


3 comments:

Dahoops said...

We have the same gggg grandparents!

Dahoops said...

We have the same gggg grandparents!

puddle said...

Hi, Cousin!! Where are you?