Saturday, September 05, 2009


Father's Day Lake Trout



The cord cut

lungs full of the magic ether

we who walk the earth upright

share

the sound of your cry

so sweet

your day of birth

a circle spun.


They could celebrate a holiday

for fathers

anyday they wanted

for me the day I became one

most special.


The Father's Day Holiday,

you shared it,

morning sun cutting through mist

to form a rainbow;

and as I turned the boat

between the pine tipped

islands of the north

hooked the ancient trout.


You were there for me at the end

of a struggle

net in hand.


Together

we landed that trout

a team, a bond,

father and son

held through eternity

because you were there.


I miss you son.

Nevermore than when I return

to that sacred lake

after you left us too young.


Let me be the net man

next time.


~~ Phil Specht

No comments: