Tuesday, June 09, 2009




Yesterday, coming home from the store, a new bird flew up out of the river as I came to the bridge. Some hunting, looks like it's a double crested cormorant. Didn't see any crests, but its range is in WV, and the others aren't. He did seem bigger than the description though. His wing span nearly that of the heron.

Today, lotsa new stuff in bloom. Columbine which is never abundant, burning like little candles in the green. The first of the Vipers' Bugloss. Mountain Laurel, several different pinks, every where. Two, just two poppies (not yard poppies). One squirrel and one Whistlepig off to heaven. And. . .

The most lovely happening of all: a doe and her *very small fawn* (scarcely to her knee) on the road. I slowed up a lot when I saw them ahead, thinking I might need to brake to a full stop. As I got within about 10 feet, mama noticed me, and made for the field on the side of the road. Baby was very slow. When he reached the gravel, she bounded away, and he dropped and lay flat, looking directly my way. Just beautiful: dark brown with the rows of luminescent white spots. I drove slowly by, and found myself crying, it was so very beautiful.

No comments: