Wednesday, November 26, 2008


I can't go on. You must go on.



Times when the pain is too great
and all you wish is for the light to blink out
Not to be asked to take one breath more

When all they have in store for you is pain
and more pain. When the very cells of your body
bleed into one another. Anguish will not vanish.

Steps forward are taken in invisible increments,
too small to measure. And we cannot go on.
But do.

And somewhere in the howling dark, one switch is switched
and then, somehow, another. And yet another. Till, finally, all the man-made
monsters can measure is nothing. There is not one cancer cell that has survived.

It is Thanksgiving's Eve, and Ally, almost two, has been pronounced cancer free.
Nothing ever has been or ever will be larger than this.




jjl
26 November 2008

3 comments:

listener said...

♡ I am speechless and humbled at such happenings,
and as I read such a poem.
I am deeply deeply grateful for
your companionship on this wild ride.
May your own wellness thrive this year.
I love you. ♥

puddle said...

Ah! I love you, too. ♥

listener said...

Watch for a package, lovely lady! ♥