Wednesday, January 30, 2008

something like a poem, something like a prayer

[573.jpg]

my son called yesterday with distress in his voice, and my heart jumped in my throat, accident, illness?

no, he was worried at my reaction that he was dropping the poetry class taught by Andrei Codrescu, his other classes too hard, and that his one elective

how easy it was to assure him things would be fine, we who have had a few more spins of the orb around the flame know the score

there are bigger things, much bigger, and since I knew he might glimpse that bigger reality had steered him towards a man who could express limitlessness, and yet how could I argue that his many years desire to be fluent in a foreign language and the difficulty third year Russian was posing for him, was not equally a path to full human consciousness, and that what I find in poetry from here on the farm he might find in world travels and other cultures in a foreign yet made familiar language

anyway you combining Tanner and prayer in a sentence snapped me back to the concern in my son's voice, and how quickly I had assured him that it was OK (and after hanging up, glad he had thought enough of my advice to seek my permission)

we do a dance with our children and theirs, of loving them too much to not set them free, but you can never hug a child too often and I send Tanner one in my prayers

I love your new poems on baby, always appreciate the link, and send prayers to all your family to wrap a snuggly blanket against the chill. we can never let our hearts catch the cold


Phil Specht
posted at the BBB

I'd like to add just a few word about the "virtual" world: it is as real, as warm, and as giving as the "real" world, and I'm glad I don't have to live without it. jjl

No comments: