Tuesday, May 08, 2007

This was a favorite of Edwin's -- he sent it to me early in our courtship.

[pastedGraphic1.JPG]

The Lama of the Crystal Monastery appears to be a very happy man, and
yet I wonder how he feels about his isolation in the silences of
Tskang, which he has not left in eight years now and, because of his
legs, may never leave again. Since Jang-bu seems uncomfortable with the
Lama or with himself or perhaps with us, I tell him not to inquire on
this point if it seems to him impertinent, but after a moment Jang-bu
does so. And this holy man of great directness and simplicity, big
white teeth shining, laughs out loud in an infectious way at Jang-bu’s
question. Indicating his twisted legs without a trace of self-pity or
bitterness, as if they belonged to all of us, he casts his arms wide to
the sky and the snow mountains, the high sun and dancing sheep, and
cries, “Of course I am happy here! It’s wonderful! ESPECIALLY when I
have no choice!”

In its wholehearted acceptance of what is, this is just what Soen
Roshi might have said: I feel as if he had struck me in the chest. I
thank him, bow, go softly down the mountain: under my parka, the prayer
flag glows. Butter tea and wind pictures, the Crystal Mountain, and
blue sheep dancing on the snow - it’s quite enough!
Have you seen the snow Leopard?
No! Isn't that wonderful?


Peter Matthiessen - “The Snow Leopard”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"The Lama of the Crystal Monastery appears to be a very happy man"

Ah, yes, m'dear
he was.
And you're a big part of why.



~listener