Friday, April 06, 2007

Today was a good day.




April 05, 2007 at 09:38 PM MDT

You'll never believe what we did today. We all went to the zoo. Tanner's liver doc gave him the OK. She just said to stay away from birds and reptiles and anyone with a cold!

Tanner fell asleep on the way there, and stayed asleep when we put him in the stroller. I kept thinking that he'd sleep through the whole thing and when he woke up he'd wonder when we were going to the zoo!

He woke up when we were looking at a leopard. He sat straight up and was so excited...he ran from place to place, pointing and squeeling and saying hi to all the animals. It was fun to watch. Not only for us, but I noticed other people enjoying his enthusiasm, too. "Hi Zebra...can't reach him...get him." "Elephant." "Hi giraffe. Where baby giraffe?" "Elephant." "Monkeys, go find monkeys, go find monkeys." "Elephant." Tanner even got up close and personal with a baby orangatan. (With glass in between, of course.) The batteries on my camera chose that moment to die! But, it was the cutest thing ever. I just love Tanner's excitement for life. I think that he thinks the world is his. Everything is here for him. He doesn't care how many people are around, he shows his enthusiasm. I LOVE IT.

Several times I noticed people look at Tanner, or staring. The adults look away really quick, as if I didn't see them looking. The kids, though, get closer and just stare, or even say something! I love that about kids. It's funny, because I forget that Tanner has a feeding tube and hearing aids. He's just my Tanner.

We figured since this was our first real outing as a family since Tanner was diagnosed over a year ago, we'd make a stop at the gift shop before we left. (The kids wanted to ride the train, but the line was way too long, so this was a trade.) Tanner is too funny. I'm pretty sure he thinks that stores are like great big places full of stuff that is all there for him to choose between. He can have anything and everything, right? Well, no. haha. He came away with a little brown monkey, a purple monkey, and a tiny pvc tiger. You should have seen him holding them all tightly in his little arms. You would be able to see it....if I had thought to take a picture! The older boys both chose books. (although their first choice was a huge, $40 stuffed crocodile....um...no!)

Today was a good day.

Sometimes it just seems to good to be true. I have my days, too many really, where I feel so depressed about how life is turning out, and how hard it is. But, this was definitley not one of those days.

Today was a good day.

Megan


.

1 comment:

tc said...

Megan - So pleased for you and your family. I know it will remain hard, but how wonderful that there can now be days full of joy as well.

Your post gave me a good happy cry.

tc