Saturday, November 11, 2006

As I look at the gold dolphin on my finger,



I admit to weeping. The letter below could break your heart. It broke what's left of mine. Please, please, in my name and in Edwin's name go here, and send it, then let me know you have.


LETTER TO THE JAPANESE EMBASSY

I was outraged to learn that Japan kills more than 20,000 dolphins and porpoises every year in dolphin drive hunts. Dolphins and whales that are targeted in this hunt include bottlenose dolphins, pilot whales and striped dolphins. Several of the species are considered to be threatened with extinction.

The truth is the impact of these hunts on the marine mammal populations is unknown due to the lack of good population size estimates for the various targeted species. Scientists also don't know the extent of the disruption the massacre causes on the complex social structure of the dolphins or the effect on the ecosystem of removing so many large animals out of a small area.

Moreover, the wholesale prices for dolphin meat have plummeted as fears over pollution levels have turned Japanese consumers against tinned dolphin.

I urge you to do the right thing and end this slaughter. Not only will you be protecting the health of Japanese families, you won't contribute to the disruption of our delicate ocean ecosystems. This tradition – proud or not – has run its course.

(And Thank You RedJellyfish)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Done, puddle.
tc | Homepage | 11.11.06 - 2:18 pm

Anonymous said...

Puddle,

I just signed this and sent to 5 of my friends that I'm sure will also support it. What a horrible, horrible thing.

LeslieK

puddle said...

Thank you guys: I means a lot. To both of us. ♥s

Anonymous said...

Oh Lord, y'all...this is almost more trouble than it's worth! I just wanted Puddle to know that I signed her petition about the dolphin/whale killings in Japan and sent it on to a couple of other email buddies who I know will sign it as well. Please let her know!

I tried posting on the first thread, but the font changes halfway thru and becomes so big nothing fits on the page; it didn't have a "write a comment" section. Don't know what that's about. Anyway, thanks for passing on this message to her.

Jeanie Diamond
Tue, 11/14/06
3:53 pm

Anonymous said...

By the way, I sent a letter to the Japanese rep protesting the killing of the dolphins, etc. Such beautiful and intelligent creatures ... can't believe anyone would intentionally harm them. My Dad used to say he was coming back as a dolphin when he reincarnated! Hope you're well - n.