Tuesday, October 17, 2006




Today was just lovely. Small rain as we were leaving the apartment and arriving at the park. Christy, Agatha, and Sylvie met us with umbrellas. Christy had the key to the park, and we entered. No one else was there, perhaps because of the rain. Edwin Booth's statue, in full light was obvious (not so obvious the previous summer when we entered at dusk). He faces the entry gate. The statue is fully guarded by 6' high very thorny roses, so the plan to dust his feet was quickly revised. The garden at his feet has the thorny roses (a beautiful pale pink, and wonderful smelling!), and also low Rosemary, in bloom. The small box of Edwin's ashes I'd been carrying since yesterday was dusted in a complete circle around Booth. The roses duly smelled, and one petal taken and deposited in the box, as was one sprig of Rosemary floweret. Then a moment of silence among us all, during which I silently chanted Om mani padme hung. We hugged, and left.

Sylvie went to work, and the rest of us went across the street to the Arts Club and had a lovely lunch, and shared memories of Edwin. Our waiter was a fine waiter and an Irish actor, and we shared our mission a bit with him.

It was a sweet, good, fine day.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad I came back to visit here today - I didn't know this was the day. I have a lot of love for you puddle and I wish I could take your pain away. please come to Vermont when you can - good friends will be waiting with warm hugs.

Karen said...

Your souls will meet someday and you will be together for infinity; please hold onto that.

~xoxo~

Anonymous said...

A fitting ceremony around the statue of Edwin Booth. Reading description I kept thinking of "ashes of roses" which is the color of the dress that the girl is wearing when she first meets Inman in Cold Mountain. Two fictional lovers who finally get together again for one bright shining hour before one dies.

Mary

puddle said...

I always think of it as the color from The Thorn Birds

IndySteve said...

Although I never met Edwin, I feel as if I know him through you, Puddle. I'm sad I never got to meet such a wonderful man. And even more saddened by the loss you must feel. He had such a clearly GOOD influence in this troubled world of ours. Rest well, good Edwin. Know the love that people have for you.