Wednesday, September 27, 2006

When our fondness and friendship began to turn into something, well, else. . . .





I looked him up on the internets. The picture below at The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face was the first I found. He, when he saw it, was not that fond of it, but there was for me something powerful and very loving about it. It reminded me of something I couldn't quite get a handle on at the time. Later in the winter I did: it was the Lion from Narnia. I'd been trying to get the Chronicles for my grandbabies the previous Christmas via Ebay, and had been looking at that picture quite a lot.

He had an intimate connection with that Lion. . . . He'd played C. S. Lewis in Shadowlands, and as for every role he played did deep research on Lewis. In fact, our first off-blog communication was on the subject of a one-man piece he wanted to write and perform on Lewis's four concepts of love. . . .

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful tribute. Your courage in facing this loss is truly inspiring. Hugs.

Dave

Anonymous said...

The regal lion. Funny that I should click onto your blog and the first thing up is the lion.
After reading the tributes to Edwin and especially after Thankful posted that he had walked with
Dr. King from Selma to Montgomery...I began to picture him..a strapping young man, tall, handsome
college student..."a lion of a man"...honest to god, that's what went through my mind.

♥ to you puddle.
so truly sorry for your loss.
cChal

Anonymous said...

puddle--when reading again is possible, read C.S. Lewis's A Grief Observed. He wrote it after his wife, Joy, died. Best book on grief I've read.

Mary

puddle said...

Mary, I'm sure he has it. Just a case of finding it. He truly loved the man. ♥

Anonymous said...

puddle--It's a thin volume. I think I read it four times or so.

M