Sunday, September 24, 2006

A love story taking place right in public. . . .

puddleriver*in*WV wrote on December 21, 2004 05:37 PM:
Solstice, the first day

Winter
ice on the river like
coagulating diamonds
lace fanning out from shore

Sky, all day
between purple and steel
the trees hungry in silhouette

Have you noticed,
the light returns so much
faster than it left

I do.
Every year.

Julie Li
12/21/04




puddleriver*in*WV wrote on December 21, 2004 06:16 PM:
And in the South,

my favorite childhood friend,
the little boy
who tricked the tigers into butter

still walks
in his purple shoes with
crimson soles and linings
in beautiful blue trousers
with the umbrella as green as a mamba.

my grandchildren
shall not know him

And "The green mamba travels throughout its life alone. ... "




The O. C. wrote on December 21, 2004 06:16 PM:
Posted by puddleriver*in*WV at December 21, 2004 05:37 PM


That julie Li is quite a poet!

Thank you, Edwin



puddleriver*in*WV wrote on December 21, 2004 06:29 PM:
the things a farmer does
to save the spring lambs
(and he is weeping
as he does this)
skinning a dead one
wrapping its
hide around another,
newly motherless

the grieving mother
accepts it as her own.



puddleriver*in*WV wrote on December 21, 2004 06:32 PM:
Posted by The O. C. at December 21, 2004 06:16 PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank *you* Edwin. . . .

puddleriver*in*WV wrote on December 21, 2004 06:35 PM:
Mosul

Breaking bread
broken bread
and bodies

Why
have we
come here
to this broken land?

The O. C. wrote on December 21, 2004 06:36 PM:
Posted by puddleriver*in*WV at December 21, 2004 06:16 PM

Interesting coincidence that my post should wind up just beneath yours.
I had that same childhood friend. When my Grandmother took me to see him in a children's theatre production in Chicago I became so frightened of the tigers I had to be taken out of the auditorium. I knew then that this thing called "theatre" was very powerful and I would have to have something to do with it!
My Christmas Present that year from my Grandmother was a Green Umbrella - for protection.
I have always tried to make my work from Heart to Heart, and make my difference in the world that way - when there is news like today's (such horror, stupid needless waste) I truly despair.




puddleriver*in*WV wrote on December 21, 2004 06:52 PM:
Posted by The O. C. at December 21, 2004 06:36 PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What a wise grandmother. . . .

Amazing the things that set us on our life's paths, isn't it? So varied, so surprising, so unexpected. . . .

And so many ways to make a difference. . . . To wake even one soul from slumber is an achievement of a lifetime, however that is accomplished.





puddleriver*in*WV wrote on December 21, 2004 07:00 PM:

As for the attack at Mosul. You do recognize that in the scheme of combat losses in the past these numbers are small.

At Antitiem/Sharpstown the US lost about 50,000 people IN ONE DAY.

Robert

So.

We have come a little distance down the dusty road

of our souls.

Perhaps,

on the day we weep over

one

unnecessary

death

God

will

finally

welcome

us

home.




puddleriver*in*WV wrote on December 21, 2004 07:08 PM:
How many Mothers, Fathers, Wives, Children, Friends. . . . For how many years. . . .

Surprised by joy -impatient as the wind
I turned to share the transport -Oh! with whom
But Thee, deep buried in the silent tomb,
That spot which no vicissitude can find?
Love, faithful love, recalled thee to my mind -
But how could I forget thee? Through what power,
Even for the least division of an hour,
Have I been so beguiled as to be blind
To my most grievous loss? -That thought's return
Was the worst pang that sorrow ever bore
Save one, one only, when I stood forlorn,
Knowing my heart's best treasure was no more;
That neither present time, nor years unborn,
Could to my sight that heavenly face restore.

--Wordsworth

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Again, Im amazed by both of you. I wonder if well ever have enough time to do about half the things youve done. You and mr elliot. Frankies decided that if we don't were complete failures in life so I better get to it...

xoxoxoxo