Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Praise the Lord. The world is now safe from Quaker terrorists.




Years ago, when my former 70 year old sister-in-law was made to drop her pants in an airport in the name of passenger safety, I was fairly disgusted. Same for the mother who wasn't allowed to bring bottled breast milk on board. And now, we must all remove our shoes. Safe to say, none of this makes me feel any safer.

Yesterday, I was pulled from line, my purse dumped on a table, and two lighters and one pocket knife were removed. Mind you, these same items had made it through BWI the week before.

I haven't flown since 9-11; nowhere in the ticket buying, ticketing process, nor the airport was a list of prohibited items.

The knife was about an inch and a half long, leather covered, and said "Bermuda" on one side. It was a gift from a Bermudian friend. I've carried it for thirty years. It's cut hay bales and opened Motrin packets.

As I started to cry, I asked if it couldn't be mailed to my home. The answer: some airports do, we don't. And oh, I could check it in some luggage. Good plan: you don't go through security until AFTER you have checked your luggage. The line at the counter to check luggage is a half hour long. At this point, it is a half hour before the flight, and the gate is the furthest away.

Yesterday, an asshole at LAX took a little piece of my heart. I certainly hope this makes y'all feel safer. . . .

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh puddle ♥,

that is just so horrible. It is the saddest thing to see what has happened to our country and our people, our fellow americans. I worry about what made these security folks feel they needed to take this from you....an obviously non-threatening person. What has been done to them that need to do this to you?

LeslieK
You are such a kind, loving, giving person. They have hurt you, but you will be OK. You have lots of people who love you. Hold this thought in your heart.

Leslie

Anonymous said...

Well I'm just having the most terrible time trying to log in here. It keeps telling me my password is wrong. That's why I posted as anonymous. I use the same password everywhere so I don't know what *other* password they could be looking for....but it is me, LeslieK.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back, friend. I've missed you. Was that a gift from Stu? Sorry that you lost it. I thought small folding knives were OK. Saw it on a list somewhere (in the Post I think)

Mary

Anonymous said...

and the least they could do is mail it back to you.
&hearts

cC

Anonymous said...

I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»