Sunday, June 04, 2006




Fishing For Meaning

A poem to a father
song for a daughter's Magic Day
and a tribute to a boat mate brother
with an ink print smeared by a tear
(don't think I didn't see).

Family means so much
for what they share,
for they are there when you dare
to spread your wings and fall;
their laughter only stings
'til you laugh too.
But I lift my eyes to the hills
biblical
to gain guidance
lost in backwater maze of wandering purpose
after loss
the hills guide.

They demand a gaze
upward off the water
and define
God's Country.



~~ Phil Specht

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

puddle

this was the email response:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Well, now there are tears rolling down my face and onto my keyboard. Sometimes I forget what? That others must feel some pain and joy that is similar to mine, that I'm not alone with these ideas. Of course, I know this in my head, but not always in my heart perhaps.

I've read your poem several times now, and in it each time comes another layer of meaning. It makes me doubly glad that I showed you my book of poems. I think I believed if there were one person in the world outside the family who might have some empathy, it would be you. I was right.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How is it words can connect emotion through the internet? nice image made to fit once again, thanks for the collaboration