Saturday, April 29, 2006

HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS MARCH FOR PEACE



(Timothy A. Clary / AFP / Getty Images)


"The demonstrators stretched for about 10 blocks as they headed down Broadway. Organizers said 300,000 people marched, though a police spokesman declined to give an estimate. There were no reports of arrests."

Day was beautiful and cool. Our table was two down from Billionaires for Bush, and two up from the NY Green Party. Fantastically easy getting people to sign the "troops out, NOW" petition. Everyone was in a great mood, but a little sad: as one woman, a little younger than I said: "Why are we here, again???"

I asked a policeman if he didn't want to sign my petition, and said he'd love to, but his hand was worn completely out from signing petitions [grin]. . . .

After, we went to a little restaurant for a celebration for Tasini volunteers, who included: Raging Grannies, Code pink, and assorted other young and old, black and white, volunteers. And Jonathan Tasini, who actually Marched in the protest.

1 comment:

JT said...

Oh, I wish I could have been there. My hub and two daughters went for about an hour. It was a bad weekend for me to leave the city. Great photo!