Friday, December 02, 2005



Courage

I remember grade school lunch hour tales
of the "chicken wars".
You had to gather eggs
and the boss rooster
was determined to prevent it
So you went armed.
A stick to knock him back
when he came spurs first in a flying fury.

It had made you fearless tho you didn't know it.

You poured concrete 100 feet
off the ground
in granary monuments of bounty,
and caught the swinging crane thrown
bucket to dump.
It made you fearless tho you didn't know.

They flew you over there and handed you a gun.
So you went armed.
You were getting shot at
so you shot back. Gentle soul
in the blood of combat.
You were "scared shitless" half the time
you said
so when we'd hunt or fish together
and a small noise would cause you to tense and turn
years later you would laugh it off
as the childhood rooster.

The day you won your silver star.
You volunteered.
The bird colonel said "I need some men."
And you were a MAN.
And you sat in the door and ran that big gun til it melted.
Your helicopter lifting off just in time
as the mortars walked in.
Saving one load and another.
Door gunner volunteer.
Fearless tho you didn't know.

You had to tell me about the rooster again.
A childhood confidant.
Before you could tell me of that day of combat.
How the chopper almost hung still
as the panicked men grabbed legs, of legs, of legs,
of men grabbing skids
and you fired and fired and fired
at the enemy coming up the hill
while the mortar rounds walked in.
And the the chain of despair would break at the top
and load lightened you went up and away.

To a Silver Star
You went to the stars fearless.

~~ Phil Specht

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

puddle

BFA kicked me off for calling Robert a skeerdycat.(actually I didn't refer to anyone, Robert just claimed my name calling)

don't sent Chuck

a little short sighted with a bat up and me set to swing at Hannah, but please let Monica know that I'll be damned if I will pay them to let Robert report on stalking the shadowblog for a "hoot" and belittling my grief without a response

I'll catch it next time.

THANK YOU AGAIN for appreciating my poetry; I love your baby blog and it is an HONOR to be posted.

Phil

jc said...

Beautiful tribute, Phil. I enjoyed your comments last night, too. ♥

Anonymous said...

PHIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Phil:

I was afraid that might be an unintended side effect of my action... I'm sorry. HQ wouldn't have acted on their own in this case otherwise, I'm fairly confident. And I doubt anyone complained about your posts last night.

If it helps at all, a certain someone got a taste of it this time, too, as you might note from the quiet night tonight on the BBB. [Like the cowardly mass media, DFA can't/won't distinguish the truth: so there's always "two sides" apparently so as to avoid any critical thinking or judgement of objective fact on their part. The blog gets either the "strict father" or the "oblivious parent" treatment when what it desperately needs is the "nurturing parent" approach.]

But, it may all be in vain. If so, DFA is whistling in the wind with these pathetic "penalties" against their best allies. And I pity Dina Wolkoff, trying all on her own to convince the bloggers that this is "their" organization, and that DFA listens. Yeah, and we're "winning" in Iraq too... Saying it's so doesn't make it so, Dina, even if you personally are practicing what you preach. I sure hope this all came up in Friday's staff meeting, because judging from the bat, the blogging support for DFA is seriously on the wane.

Catreona said...

Hey Phil,

I was totally shocked, appalled, and generally pissed off and weirded out that you, OF ALL PEOPLE, got banned. It's their loss, and they'll come to rue it, if they have any sense left.

Please come make your home with the HEP cats. We miss you.

Anonymous said...

NO! Phil was banned from DFA? Ridiculous. This is my first time here on this blog. DFA won't be the same. I have not hit the bat because they refuse to ban Robert. He must be lying low, because he hasn't been on the most recent post over there. How sad.

tc

Catreona said...

BTW Phil, beautiful poem, as always. ♥

jc said...

Phil,

You have a lot of friends over at Howard-Empowered. And you'll be allowed to speak.